Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Dry Beans: To Soak or Not to Soak


So you want to have beans for dinner but you forgot to soak the dry beans the night before?

Don't panic. I have a solution.

There's a lot of information out there about what to do with dry beans. I'll have to preface this explanation by saying that I have not done extensive research, I know what I know from experience (and having read a bit about the topic). Having cooked two different types of dry beans two nights in a row (successfully of course) I feel like I should share my knowledge.

Last night was red beans, tonight its garbanzo beans (aka chickpeas). The basic idea is the same:

1. Rinse the beans first and sift through them to make sure there aren't any pebbles or bad beans (I rarely find anything).
2. Bring them to a boil on the stovetop with plenty of water to cover them. (Make sure to use a large enough pot since the beans will expand as they absorb water).
3. Once the water boils, turn the heat down and let the beans simmer for a good 5-7 hours (depending on the bean).
4. Check on the beans about once an hour to make sure they're still simmering, not over boiling, and that they still have plenty of water covering them.

You'll know when the bean is ready by tasting it to see if it's soft enough.

This isn't exactly a viable option for those who don't have this kind of time (i.e. aren't home all afternoon) but just know that it exists.

I also want to talk about another issue with beans. That is, do you throw away the water they've been soaking/boiling in? I have yet to find a consensus on this matter. My real concern is the health factor. Those in favor of saving the water usually argue that it contains a lot of good flavors. Those in favor of throwing away the water and rinsing the beans will say that this will help digestion of the beans, that the water contains things you don't want to eat... etc.

My personal feelings are that it depends on what bean you're cooking. The way I cooked the red beans was by sauteing an onion and garlic, then adding the beans and spices. After about 5 hours of simmering the beans have absorbed most of the liquid and the liquid that's left is rich with the soft bean pulp. You can't throw that liquid away - it just wouldn't work. Garbanzo beans on the other hand, after soaking for 5-6 hours are still pretty much intact. I'd say go ahead and toss the extra liquid there.

Another interesting note on cooking beans. When I cooked the red beans I basically filled the pot with water in the beginning and that was it. With the garbanzo beans on the other hand, I added water to the pot several times. Keep on eye on them!

The point is, cooking dry beans doesn't have to be complicated but it might take a couple tries to get right. Once you figure out a method that works for you, the possibilities are endless!

No comments:

Post a Comment