Friday, July 20, 2012

One of the most delicious things I've eaten recently


This is an unflattering picture.  I'm dressed down, and I have food on my mouth.  But I don't care because elote is delicious, and you need to know about it.

Elote is a kind of Mexican street food - grilled corn on the cob slathered with condiments like mayo, cheese, chili powder, and things like that.  I made a sauce of mayo, garlic, paprika, black pepper and feta cheese (goat feta, good stuff).  Since we are not allowed to grill on our מרפסת (curse you, Technion fire safety rules!), I broiled the corn in the oven.

Folks, this corn was sub par.  Off the top of my head, corn may be the only exception to the all-Israeli-produce-is-delicious rule I can think of.  If anyone in Israel grows real sweet corn, I have not found it.  Plus, the oven treatment left the kernels kind of dry and chewy.

But NONE of that mattered.  The combination of creamy, salty, cheese sauce and nutty, roasty, slightly sweet corn was unbelievably good.

Most people I know make corn to go with a cookout, or some other meat meal.  I suggest you make this the center of a quick, delicious weekday dairy meal (we just started the 9 days..).  If you live in the US, you can probably buy amazing sweet corn for next to nothing.  Even if you can't get the ultimate corn, this dish is worth a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment