Monday, September 19, 2011

Granola and Yogurt



This is my new favorite breakfast. In stores, a tiny, unsatisfying cup can be bought for 6 shekels. Larger, more satisfying cups cost upwards of 12 or 15 shekels from Cafe Greg. I figured if I want to eat this stuff every day, I'd better start making it myself.

The granola is homemade, the yogurt is not. My granola is based on a recipe from smitten kitchen, but anyone can make granola by following these vague guidelines:

Mix two parts dry oats, one part shredded coconut, and one part some other nut on a baking sheet. Toast for about 10 minutes. If you don't like coconut, leave it out. If you're on the fence about coconut, put it in; you will be rewarded with a seriously awesome toasty smell.

Next, stir in some pieces of whatever dried fruit you want. Then, pour in some honey. If you can't approximate it by eye, base yourself off a recipe. Lastly, bake it all together.

Since I plan on eating my granola loose, I don't care if my final product is sloppy. If you want your granola in bars, you should do more reading. This is my second batch of granola, and the bars fell apart in my first batch.

Stay tuned for a future post. When that store bought yogurt runs out I'm gonna try making my own...

No comments:

Post a Comment