Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Stir fry celery and tofu

Tonight was tofu part deux.

This time, I sliced the block of tofu ahead of time (last night), and lay the slices on some paper towels on top of a plate. I then put more paper towels on top of the slices, then another plate, then weighed the whole thing down with my CIS.

Today, I sliced the slices into noodle-like strips, and marinaded them in soy sauce, rice vinegar, some leftover pineapple juice, sugar, salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper.

To make the stir fry, I sauteed some crushed garlic in vegetable oil, then added celery sliced into mini sticks. I poured over whatever marinade was not absorbed into the tofu. I let that cook until the celery started browning on the bottom, at which point I added in the tofu. I left it cook without moving it for a while. The tofu would start to brown, I'd shake the pan up, and let it sit again. I repeated this a bunch of times until the tofu was mostly brown.

We ate it with white rice.
It was better than the last tofu we ate (more flavor), but I used a little too much vinegar in the seasonings so it was too sour. But the celery was really good, and the rice came out well. But then again, it's rice. Not so complicated.

No comments:

Post a Comment