Sunday, July 3, 2011

Chahlizz

After Yoni and I decided we were making aliyah we had to figure out which appliances we would take with us, which we'd leave and which we wanted to replace. The KitchenAid was at the top of the list to replace and take with us. We went to this tiny store somewhere near The Village that we knew sold 220V appliances. While we were paying for it the check out lady started making conversation, asking us where we were going... etc. At some point she turns to me and said, "so you gon make chahlizz?" I must have looked confused (either because I didn't understand the actual words that she was saying or because I was baffled by the concept) so she repeated herself a couple times. Finally I turned to Yoni with a look that said, "Do you understand her?" He said "Yea, she's asking if you're going to make chala". We both smiled at each other knowing the real truth behind who would be making the chahlizz in our house.... and yet, almost a year later here I am, making chahlizz.

I promise to not get ahead of myself and start believing this will actually become a regular occurrence. But the fact that my very first time baking challot (yes, let's pronounce it so I can understand) was successful.... is very encouraging.

Thanks to my sister for the recipe (originally found in the Beth Hamedrosh Cookbook) and for coaching me through the tough times.

Here's the recipe I used:

1 T salt
1/2 cup sugar
2 cup warm water
2 packages yeast (each package is 2 and 1/4 tsp)
2 eggs
1/2 cup oil
7-7 1/2 cups flour

Combine all ingredients in order given. Knead, let it rise in oiled bowl for 1.5 hours. Punch down and let rise for another .5 hr. Shape and let rise another .5 hour. Bake at 400 F (204 C) for 20 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment