Thursday, July 7, 2011

Green eggs and... cheese. Sandwich.



Though I forget the context, I recently saw a dish of scrambled eggs cooked with spinach. The bitter-green taste of spinach nicely complements the seasoned, creamy eggs. I sweated some onions with garlic first, and then tossed in the spinach, which wilts almost immediately (so don't turn your back on it). Then I mixed in a couple eggs.

Spinach and eggs are tasty enough, but to make it a little more substantial I made sandwiches, each with a slice of cheese inside, and toasted them on the griddle.

Note: we have a new oven and stove. It's nice to finally graduate from using the woefully underpowered and pathetic GoldLine USA brand plug in burner set (subnote: if you see a piece of electronics in Israel with "USA" as part of its marketing, you can be sure it is a piece of garbage), but I haven't gotten used to the stove yet. It is electric ceramic, and while it's capable of a lot of heat, it can be hard to control that heat. Vegetables that are supposed to gently sautee instead emerge charred. Butter intended to melt instead hisses, browns, and burns within seconds, emitting fishy odors. So two of the sandwiches came out on the burnt side. And I'll figure out the stove eventually.

No comments:

Post a Comment